I interrupt your Thursday evening for an out of cycle blog that is nothing more than a rant but hey....
While laying on the couch trying to feel better after possibly something bad I ate, I saw on the celeb news alert that Serena Williams recently became engaged
and as soon as I saw the picture of her fiance I knew the hate and remarks and unsolicited comments that would soon follow
just the top few were:
1) she never liked brothas anyway-MYTH
She dated Drake and Common for a very long time-FACT
2) white men get all the sistas-MYTH
Some black women do date outside the black race, but so do black men-FACT
3)He won't know how to handle that/what to do with that-MYTH
How offensive is it to imply that a black women is some type of animal that must be tamed or broken-FACT
Clearly she is content in her relationship to accept his proposal-FACT
There seems to still be some gross inaccuracies when it comes to interracial dating and more specifically when it involves a black woman and any man not of African American decent.
Enough is enough
while there are outliers of people who specifically only date certain races and are very clear about their intentions, there are also people who are very deliberate about only dating within their own race
for some people it is a preference, for others it is who stirs and captures their heart
but from a 10,000 foot view you can't always see the difference
i dont have a preference, i don't say "I ONLY date____" Love does not and should not work that way
and people who are trying to create blended babies or crafting their offspring have it all wrong
BUT back to the subject at hand
While I have been in both interracial and non interracial relationships..i do not allow that to define me
i am not a "swirler" i just happen to be in a IR relationship
my relationship does not make me any more or any less black
and i think other women in my similar dynamic feel the same way
i do think there is an irony that many black women in an IR tend to be women who are more comfortable in their skin, I see many with naturals and locs and who are truly comfortable in their skin
whereas the majority of women with the long weaves and light contacts are not the ones in a mixed coupledom
There is no winning and losing when someone dates outside of their race, the winner in all of it is love, and showing that love CONQUERS all
But instead we choose to pick apart and find flaws and project our hate and ignorance and use history as a reason to predict the future
I think at the end of the day and the biggest element in all the hate that people are spewing is that there is an element of MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
there is an element of people trolling on social media who feel they are entitled to share their opinion or that everyone should feel and think and act like them
People need to focus on their own house and their own relationships and not be concerned with others
ok that was a very unorganized rant and i apologize for that BUT this topic hits home for me
and i'm off my soapbox