this topic was a triple request...so to Mr. S, my other half, and the original Jojo....here is my take on the concept of "father of the year/parent child relationships"
when I think Best Father I must say I am biased and I automatically think to my Daddy-most people think they have the best parents but I genuinely might
i am not going to short my Mom but this blog is about the daddy figure so I will come back to my Mom another day
*pardon the interruption-my Mom just emailed me to say my Dad is getting yet another award at Church...He's been Father of the Year, Man of the Year, he was recently the recipient of another award and now he's the February member awardee
So let me talk about my Dad for a moment
I am the poster child of Daddy's GIRLS!! although recently I was replaced by a smaller version of myself...but sigh
What makes a Dad amazing
first thought a dad who spends time
the dad who spends time with you, the dad who talks to you, the dad who is present
now i want to take a detour real quick because earlier when I was thinking about this i wondered about the difference between generations of present versus past
i look at my grandfather for example....an amazing father by any standard but his fathering style was very different
my grandfather was that STRONG type-he was the provider..he got up EVERY morning and went to work
he taught lessons and his lessons are what we ALL hold with us today
my grandad instilled the lessons in life you need to survive and that you will use when life kicks you down and you feel like you can't get up...that's when you think of his words....my grandad was a Marine...and let me tell you he was the DEFINITION of a Marine and that's how he raised my Dad-
work hard..work harder dont rest and float through life
and yet at the same time he was very traditional..he was the provider my grandmother was the nurturer ..grandad didn't cook or do the "household" duties that were typically relegated to a woman..ie laundry and cleaning but his pride was his yard...sigh
so that's the man that raised my Dad
my Dad is firm and yet fair...
you don't want to see my dad's ugly side BUT usually if you have to meet that side you had it coming
my dad is loving...he adores me..i was the princess..
the relationship i have with my dad has shaped the relationship i have with the opposite gender and that is SO critical..and now that I have a daughter I realize that influence is vital
my dad is very hands on....he taught me to cook as well as being independent... i can change a flat, i can refill my liquids as well as shut off water in the house just in case Mom and I are for the 3rd time home when there is a leak of broken pipe :)
i talk to my dad everyday..whenever i have a hard problem or even not my dad is my first call
i can talk about anything with him and my amazing driving skills are from many miles logged up and down the US with my Dad...we make a pretty great dynamic duo!!!
so what is it about a great father...it's the little things..it's not always about the trips to Children's Palace as a kid or the sneak trips to McDonalds
it's the consistency
its knowing the sacrifices he made for my education and for me in general
its the selfless that as an adult i can see and understand
its that by him being around and in my life ...my dad has made me WHO I am
don't get me wrong my Mom can't be discounted but it can't be denied that a woman turns out very different with and without her dad
so the best answer i can give is time which is always the greatest gift you can give
give of your time
spend time
make time
time